Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Profession

When we read morality, we see that none of the jobs have any difference in status or undue respect. We get thrilled reading poems like Chimney Sweeper

However, in reality, we are comfortable wearing some masks like software professional or doctors. (Just check the matrimonial success of different professionals). Once in a while there is a call inside me or from my wife to shed off this mask and be myself. Glad to know that my wife is supporting such noble thoughts among the materialistic goals of most of us; however at times I need to channelize her thoughts away from seeking max-income-zero-satisfaction jobs.

Many of my friends and relatives have appreciated my way of teaching students on topics I know. I am comfortable with bringing enough analogies to make the points clear. For eg, while discussing about data types in c, it was so easy for everyone to pick up the analogy of parking a car, bike or a bicycle in a parking lot vs storing an float, int or char in a memory location. Also, I liked breaking the conventional mode of teaching and enter into informal discussions. Practical approach is easy to grasp and understand than theoretical abstract concepts.

I do have interest in writing and penned few articles. Have ideas about publishing books but there is always the initial enthusiasm with no follow up.

Will these things in life give me satisfaction? Can a person pursue his/her hobbies and goals without much of income? Will there be a depression in life for moving from a luxurious lifestyle to a minimal income jobs?

On the other hand, how finite are these lucrative jobs? The layoffs are just around the corner. Instead of getting a sudden bolt in life and thrown into a deep pit, I would rather step down gracefully and take up a task of my heart. That would give me much of happiness than the sudden ups and downs of life.

Certain things are unknown in life, may be we will never know. Current questions of that nature are - when is the right time to leave this field and learn a new skill? Will there be content in life with the switch? Wont I be bored with monotonous life?

No comments: