Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Seller's view

When the customers' needs are like this, salesperson perspective are very much aligned. While I was living in the city, I thought of preserving the cloth from insects and dampness. Had to buy some naphthalene for placing in the closet. The near by general store was handy and I approached the shopkeeper. He was in his twenties. He was not the owner, should be a relative of the owner.

I asked him for the naphthalene balls and he showed some local branded one. The white balls were neatly arranged in a plastic sheet and tightly wrapped. A piece of paper announced the local brand name. He was trying to push this piece to me. However, I wanted to compare the price of this packed one and loosely kept naphthalenes. They were placed inside a bottle and he had to weigh any amount I would like to get. That was 50% cheaper than the packed one. I am sure he will get a better deal by selling the packed one than the loose one.

He was trying his sales pitch for the packed one. He commented on the quality, intactness etc. However, I was not convinced that I should spend more money for providing better repellents for the insects. Finally I asked him to weigh the loose ones. He did that, put them into a small paper bag. He liked the smell of the naphthalene. While handling the bag to me, he asked, "what is the purpose of these?"!!!

No comments: