Monday, February 19, 2007

Dirty Indians

Yesterday I was strolling through the streets. How dirty we are!! Garbage thrown all over the streets, stagnated sewage, small restaurants dump the wastage in the road side, mutton shop hang the skinless animals for display, hmm .. I wish I was else where.

What is that we lack to keep our surrounding clean? Relatively our homes are cleaner than the surrounding. Before blaming someone, let us look out the answer within. Foremost factor is laziness. We are too casual to throw plastic wrapper, waste paper, empty can, used clothes, anything we don't want on the streets. We don't know the right way to dispose things.

During college days, a friend of mine taught us how to dispose waste during travel. Simple things like carrying a plastic bag to collect waste, throwing it in a bin at any stop point, reducing the intake during travel -- were few tips. I try to follow whenever possible.

As any Indian, let me bash the governing system. We do have waste handling process in the city. People are paid by the corporation to clean the roads, collect wastes from door to door, ply vehicles to transport the waste out of the city etc. I have seen uniformed people doing these acts. Are these adequate? Nope. We need a system which would be responsible on what it does and result oriented. I had seen these people dumping the waste they collect from homes into a nearby empty sites. In due course, this empty site becomes dumping ground for the houses nearby.

Considering the health risk we have with these unhygienic habits, I hope we wake up early before some irrecoverable hazard.
Thou I dont have answers to many questions, I would like to involve in betterment of the city.

No comments: