Wednesday, June 30, 2010

official mail

I had to send an email to 10+ folks at office and gather their response. I sent one email addressing them in general and cc-ing bunch of managers. I didnt get any response.

Then I sent 10+ emails. Directly addressing them, placing their name in the subject and cc-ing none. An email was sent to one member only. I got response from all.

Just wondering what is the key behind this situation. Did they respond because they are directly responsible and hold accountable? But managers were not informed, so they could have deferred.

Anyway I got what I wanted and a new technique to apply at such scenario.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ha ha.. good one.. will try next time before i do any escalations.. :)

Revathy Srinivasan said...

tats coz..all want to feel spl..wen u send mail in cc..they treat it as just a fwded mail..but wen u send it individually..they sense time u have spnt for them..and hence the prompt comes the reply!!

Anonymous said...

I am more likely to respond to emails when I'm the only one addressed for two reasons. One reason is that since I (assume) I'm the only one being asked, I feel responsible to respond to the sender so as not to leave them hanging (and if they told anyone I did, that would make me look bad). The second reason is, if someone is looking to collect ideas, opinions or to inquire about feelings, and I am the only one asked, I respond because I believe that they care about my responses specifically, whereas when I'm one of many listed I sometimes think I am only being included for politeness since I'm part of a certain group and they wanted me to feel included, but might not have really cared about my individual response.